Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Claire




I live my life in a series of flashes. Jumping from event to event never quite knowing how I got there. The only constant has ever been Claire. She has been there for as long as I could remember. Usually provoking me into doing things that I didn’t really want to do, but I always felt comfortable with her. Even if I wanted to, I was helpless to keep her away. When I woke up she was there lying next to me with a smirk on her face, like she knew something that I didn’t. She was always there.

I knew she was a problem, but she was my problem. I connected my identity to her. For better or worse she was part of me. I believed that until I was standing over the beaten and bloody body of a man who bumped into me in a bar. The events are sketchy. I remember not wanting to hurt him. I was happy to walk away, but Claire wouldn’t let that happen. She pushed me to do something. “Are you going to take that? You’re not a man! You don’t deserve me. Don’t be such a pussy!”

I told her it was okay, but she kept prodding. I screamed at her to leave me alone. The patrons looked at me like I was crazy, but she kept pushing. “I’ll leave if you don’t handle this. Then what will you do? You can’t live without me. Be a man.”

The security camera had to tell the rest of the story. I picked up the bottle of Allagash White that I had been drinking and brought it down on the back of this poor guys unsuspecting head spilling beer and blood on the distressed wooden floor. He crumbled. I stopped on the screen. I looked at the body and then off screen. I must have been looking at her. The bouncer lurched towards me, but I dropped with the remains of the brown glass bottle in my hand and landed it on the man’s neck just under his chin with the full weight of my body on top. Frothy pink bubbles spilled from the fresh wound as he gasped for air.

I don’t remember anything after that until I woke up in an emergency room handcuffed to a hospital bed with a uniformed officer outside the room. Claire was nowhere to be seen. I was woozy and drifted off again. When I came to I saw her through the glass window in the waiting room. I half wished she hadn’t come, but I was glad she did.

She threw the officer a smile and then walked right past him and came into the room. Why would he let her come in? I had to be in some pretty serious shit. She looked me in the eyes and told me how proud of me she was. I screamed at her, “Do you realize what you did? Do you realize that we are not going to be able to be together anymore?” She laughed. The officer opened the door and barked at me to shut up. Clair mocked him. I laughed. She could always make me laugh.

A doctor came in to talk to me. Claire sat quietly in the corner. He asked me how I felt. I told him I was fine, that I wasn’t hurt. He said he knew that I wasn’t hurt. He wanted to know how I felt. Claire laughed again. I told her to be quite. The doctor asked who I was talking to. Claire introduced herself. He ignored her so I introduced her. The doctor was polite to Claire and then excused himself from the room.

When he returned he had a syringe and vial marked Haldol. Claire started to panic; I asked what the needle was for. I felt fine. All he said was that it would help. Claire was yelling, telling me not to let him give it to me. I struggled; the officer came into the room and I stopped. He gave me the injection.

Claire stopped panicking. She looked at me with depressed eyes, turned silently and opened the door to the emergency room treatment bay. She stepped through. I called after her, “Don’t go. Where are you going? I need you. Don’t leave me.”

She never looked back, she just kept walking.
 

24 comments:

  1. Nicely done! I didn't realize Claire wasn't real until the doctor didn't see her. The mind is fascinating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I agree about the mind. With its complexity, I'm surprised there aren't more people with issues. Or perhaps there are.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant. Outstanding. I want to write like this. :-0!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you for your comment. I am very happy you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  3. I take care of a sister with schizophrenia. It took a year to get guardianship and get her treated. Anyway, we lived with her voices and I can tell you they are not friendly. The cruelest part is my sister was brilliant and beautiful. I wish they had more research in detecting and treating mental illness. Less stigma, better treatment, better lives for those who suffer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have any experience with this specific type of illness, but I do agree with you. There is so much stigma around all manner of mental issues, from something as severe as schizophrenia to just talking to a threapist about everyday issues. I think a lot of people think that these sorts of issues can be "controlled." I'm learning that they are issues because they cannot. Best of luck to you and your sister.

      Delete
  4. Great take on the prompts! Love the slow reveal on Claire and the way she walks out of the room at the end. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever, the way you handled the Claire character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was no Claire... never was. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting psycho-story. You presented his reality very effectively and made good use of the prompt with Claire, his alter ego(?) walking away. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More of a hallucination than an alter ego. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Fabulous story told with a great pace. At first I wondered if "Claire" was a euphemism for the bottle, but then there was something about it all that somehow reminded me of Fight Club. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My wife actually asked, after reading the first paragraph or so, if he named his alcoholism Claire.

      Delete
  9. Did *not* see that coming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was quite a twist at the end! WOW, great story! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girls like that sure can get you into a lot of trouble. Just remember, the symptoms of schizophrenia and the signs of telepathy are exactly the same. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, come now, girls in general can get you into a lot of trouble. That's an interesting coincidence you mention. Or perhaps they are just different manifestations of the same underlying physiological anomaly.

      Delete
  12. Great twist! You did such a fine job drawing Claire...I didn't see it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why do the schizophrenic apparition always end up being loony :)...why can't they be some wise practical beings who could tell one the answers to the science tests....great writing btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I think that would make a great story. I would have to imagine that for some people, the voices aren't bad.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete