Tuesday, June 10, 2014

It Wasn't Enough

Birds flying high

Do you even care

Sun in the sky

Darkness everywhere

Reeds driftin’ on by

Give me what you’ll share


Fish in the sea

Your wants disappear

River running free

Drowning in fear

Blossoms in the trees

But autumn is near


Dragonfly out in the sun

You’re the hawk close behind

Butterflies all out havin’ fun

They're the poisonous kind

Sleep in peace when day is done

Your body here, I’ve lost your soul and your mind


Stars when you shine

Where did we go wrong

Scent of the pine

Rots where once strong

Yeah, freedom is mine

We don't belong


We gave it everything we had, but it wasn’t enough.

It’s a new dawn

It’s a new day

It’s a new life

For me

And…



13 comments:

  1. Powerful poetry. I especially love "River running free drowning in fear..." So writerly!
    (Typo in 3rd stanza, 4th line)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. And thank you for the correction. I made the change. I really need an editor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-). I have a hard time editing my own stuff too.

      Delete
  3. Lots going on here. Read it a couple of times probably need to come back and read it a couple more. Lots going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way you've used the prompts! And I love all the contrasts, like the poisonous butterflies. Great poem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. " Your body here, I’ve lost your soul and your mind" - eerie! (Almost as much as the poisonous kind of butterfly :) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. this poem is awesome.... especially the contrast, it is enigmatic..keep it up..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful poem! I think we all enjoyed the poisonous butterfly line, though the whole piece was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice take on both prompts...you integrated them seamlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, I really like how you wove in the song lyrics, so seemingly happy, with the darkness of your own words. I am always impressed with good poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have had a lot of inspiration lately.

      Delete
  11. Amazing bit of poetry!! Loved the poisonous butterflies. Magnificent use of the prompts. ♥

    ReplyDelete