Friday, June 13, 2014

Teddy

Copyright-Ted Strutz


It was ironic, the view from dentist’s office at the St. Alban’s Home for Unwanted Boys in Eastport. Sure that wasn’t the official name, but that’s what us inmates called it. It’s strange how quickly things change. I remember playing with Teddy every day: stealing 5 cent candies from Cooper’s Candy Shop, running around the docks where the fishing boats would push off before the sun stirred, pestering the ferry goers coming to work at the cannery. It was an accident, one that I will have to live with every day. I miss him more than anyone. Isn’t that punishment enough?

10 comments:

  1. Crime and punishment, justice! Big issues. Your narrator has a lot to feel aggrieved about.
    (I'm sure teddy understood/forgave.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this story is one of my favorites this week. The rhythm and unspoken truth dig deep. Nice. Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if the accident had something to do with the dentists office. It looks like we're supposed to use our imaginations for that one. Well written. : ) ---Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear I.R.

    This is a heart breaker. I've no doubt it was an accident, but that's never going to make a difference to the living brother. Well written.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete