Friday, May 23, 2014

Unwanted Changes

Unwanted Changes

PHOTO PROMPT Copyright - Erin Leary
Copyright – Erin Leary


It’s the Sunday mornings alone with him I miss the most. We would follow the old post and rail fence down the country road to the pond at the edge of our property. It’s been a while since he had the desire to go fishing with me. It’s been a while since he had the desire to do anything.

The happiness was replaced by rage, the smiles with scowls, and the undying love with anger. Where did my baby go? This is not how an eight-year-old should be. I would give my life for one more smile.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my! SO sad.
    Good job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, just five minutes ago, I had the same thought about my own 8-year old. I love how the emotions perfectly match this sad photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the line between fact and fiction all but disappears.

      Delete
  3. It's strange how fog can make everyone think sad thoughts. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent beginning starting with a vague description of a relationship turning for the worse . . . you surprised me with the character being only a young child. wonderfully done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - there are those times.. I'm sure a part will return. I thought this was another story altogether until you told me it was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear I.R.

    You had me going with this one. I thought she was reminiscing about a lost husband. Love the twist. If he's only 8 there will be so many more changes to come. Good one.

    Welcome to Friday Fictioneers. I look forward to reading more from you.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Art imitating life really. Sparked by a week of insanity.

      Delete
  7. Welcome to Friday Fictioneers. Good story. Children sometimes have difficulty adjusting to the different problems involved in growing up. Well written. ---Susan

    ReplyDelete