Friday, September 5, 2014

Campfire

Campfire
Friday Fictioneers prompt for September 5, 2014 ©Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

We sat by the campfire and we were all taken in by the cacophonous crackle of capricious combustion. John told inappropriate jokes that were utterly obfuscated by one too many horizontal meters of beer – which is to say one horizontal meter of beer. My knees burned because they were somehow, through the contorted way I sat on the camping chair, the closest part of my body to the flames. Tired of John’s incoherent babbling, I contemplated how a few inches can reduce the heat exponentially and how my own hands could be used as a heat shield; as if I just discovered that
q = ε σ (Th4 - Tc4) Ac.

2 comments:

  1. I.R., She would be more comfortable a bit back from that fire. Common sense needs to be used. I think she's beginning to see that. Well written. : ) ---Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Irrational Realist, 'Too Close for Comfort' comes to mind. She should move back more than that. John will probably pass out any moment - unless he has a violent side. Good story! Nan :)

    ReplyDelete